Tuesday, February 4, 2014

3-Adam Combs


The Ted Talk video "Simon Sinek: How great leaders inspire action" pointed out that successful companies focus not so much on what they are producing but instead why they are producing it.  This focus creates an inspired outlook for the company, its employees, and its customers.  Sinek pointed out that customers trusted Apple products more than others because they explained that (among other things) they wanted to "challenge the status quo" with their products.  This told customers what makes them different and customers responded by trusting Apple and buying these products.

I chose Google for my first blog post because they create an interface that allows users to get into the application, get what they want, and move on.  The simple interface of Google's search engine appears to mirror one of their philosophies which is "Don't be evil."  This philosophy is a shot at Google's competitors whom they believed were exploiting customers.  Google felt that a company that operates for the good of the world rather than for short term gains, will be strong in the long term.  This sounds great and it seems to work for Google with consumers but I'm not so sure that they live up to this motto.  The search engine was created because the founders wanted to "organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful" which is what it does.  However, Google collects a lot of user information from it's customers through all of their products and they use this information to make a profit.  Some might consider this exploiting customers and Google is not the only company that does this.

1 comment:

  1. I also chose google for my previous blog post. I had never heard of their "Don't be evil" philosophy, however I do agree that such a philosophy is a great approach to long term success and achievement. I also believe that google has attracted so many users because of the simplicity and ease of use of their website by "not being evil"; this meaning one will never find advertisements taking up space on the homepage, or irrelevant popups opening when one clicks a link. The company's goal of organizing information for ease of accessibility has certainly been met and exceeded, however I agree with you that their ideal of "not being evil" seems to have been compromised to an extent. For example the fact that users can now pay their way up the ranks of google pages seems to be "evil" because it undermines the hard work that web-designers put into search engine optimization. I have been working long distance for Carmercial, an S.E.O. (search engine optimization) company in Boca Raton, Florida for over a year and a half now. As a result of this, I know first hand just how much time and effort designers put into optimizing their website for search engines, in most cases specifically google, and I don't think it's right for google to weaken companies (such as Carmercial) efforts and abilities by selling advertisement real-estate. Can you think of any other ways google contradicts itself by "being evil"?

    ReplyDelete