Throughout chapter 9, Hoekman discusses the many reasons why getting the beginners to intermediates as fast as possible or just basically getting them started is necessary. Early on in the chapter Jason Putorti explained the most important part of designing the setup process is making it "approachable, intuitive, and presented in a friendly, non-threatening manner." I believe it all depends on what you're looking at and what you're trying to get out if it. Some online help systems work great, and some dont really help at all. If the designs with these help systems were made better, stronger, and more "obvious" I dont think the help systems would be needed at all. Hoekman also mentions at the end of the chapter that if documents were provided, the beginners and intermediate users wouldnt get much help help. The experts are the ones that receive help from the documents because they are the ones that need/want to know everything about the apps they're working on.
I believe we should focus on the fan base of the superheroes, no matter which hero it is because the fans are the ones that will hold the designers accountable for either creating something that's amazing or creating something that basically ruins the hero as a whole. While on the other hand, we also have to pay attention to the newbies, because we have to convince newcomers that our design makes the hero way cooler than he/she was previously.
I agree with what you are saying when you talk about that help aids can be helpful while sometimes not at all. Having the help aids are needed to some degree, as you stated, because their are people out their that are experts and want to know everything about the certain design.
ReplyDeleteThe point you made about the people to focus on for project 5 I think it is important that we keep the fans in mind. Couldn't agree more!
I agree with your point about fans holding designers accountable. A broad example might be if a developer gave Spiderman a Stinger weapon, there might be an uproar on the the Spiderman fan site because spiders don't sting.
ReplyDelete