As I was skimming through Chapter 6, the first thing to catch my eye was when the author talked about setup wizards and "the fact that the wizard is keeping them from playing around with the application", when I looked back up at what he was trying to explain it made me realize that setup wizards aren't really set up well. They just show a step by step of walk throughs for the application that you are beginning to use and they don't really show the user how they can "mess" around with the application or how to make changes later on.
Overall with HELP systems, they sort of annoy me, even though I do feel that they can be helpful. They annoy me in the first place because I just want to 'click,click,click' through everything and get to the application. But I know if it is something that isn't easy to understand or I need to get the basis of what the application is about, I really like the simple HELP systems that are straight to the point and I don't have to read much. I like HELP systems where there is instructive design. This kind of design in an application always catches my eye and makes me understand very easily what I can do with an application. I also feel like I am not skimming to fast through it and not mindlessly clicking next.
I feel that HELP systems work, you should have these systems for users to have access to. I know in this day and age, people could have an easier time figuring out the design, but then I think of people who really aren't tech-savy, they are going to want something to explain them how to go about things. A design may be obvious, but the user may still want a HELP system.
-For the persona for project 5, categories of people to focus on could be (obviously) people who are a part of the fan club for that superhero. The persona could also be for children who play with toys of the superhero.
I am totally agree with your point. Most of help systems are too complex. When I open the help system and I find I should find the solution in thousands of words. I cannot find the useful answer through the help system most of times.
ReplyDelete