Saturday, March 8, 2014

8 - Charlie Knotts

I believe I learn something completely new about "playing the whole game" of HCI design every week either in class or from the projects. One example of this is from my experience of studying for the first exam. I was practicing the drawing portion of the exam in which we had to illustrate "playing the whole game" while incorporating the list of 29 words. I struggled trying to understand where which word went where and felt that my drawing could be remade in a million different ways. This helped me figure out how complex the idea of "playing the whole game" was and how my view of it would change the more time I spent in this field. Another moment in which I learned something new in "playing the whole game" was from project 4. I myself over thought the idea of adding personality to a refrigerator and wanted to go down the route of designing a playful fridge that was full of personality so it could show off the incredible technology behind it. However, my project partner pointed out to me that creating a fridge like that would make multiple problems that I was too shortsighted to see. Without my partner, I would have made a bad decision that I would have gotten fired for in the business world. Working in groups is necessary making the best applications for the users.

4 comments:

  1. Good points! I also have experienced something similar in project 3. After getting feedback from users of our YouTube design I realized my team might have added features that were unnecessary and would probably never be used..such as Artists' bios. Sometimes it is better to have a fresh perspective on your design to make it better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! When I was practicing my sketch for my test I found my arrows going in every direction. Everything seems to connect in some way and even the final product (for me) portion of my design had arrows drawn back to the top. Even the last step of the design flow had arrows flowing every which way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you discovered that your drawing could be "remade in a million different ways" because that is exactly how I felt. At first I felt like it was wrong, but then I talked to some of the mentors and they showed me some pictures that the graduates drew, and none of them were alike. I think that the diversity of "playing the whole game" makes this class more interesting than only have one or a couple ways of doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree as well. It's so interesting that the process of playing the whole game can be portrayed in so many ways, and is carried out by every designer and team, on every project, differently. The words that were given us on the exam also showed some of the diversity of dimensions and perspectives from which design can be viewed.I also liked your comment on vision -or lack thereof-, with so many different aspects and details to worry about in such a complex and continuous process, it seems almost impossible to be successful without a team. The third aspect you bring up is the flexibility to listen to your team and allow yourself to take a step back and view the project from someone else's perspective. I think all of these comments are great examples of what a complex and constantly evolving process design can be. This is why the only way to learn is by repetition and by understanding that there is no linear method, only the design team decision making that determines the success or failure of the project.

    ReplyDelete