Monday, March 10, 2014

8-Taylor Brinkman

I feel like my overall understanding of "playing the whole game" of HCI Design has grown stronger after each of the four projects we have completed so far this semester.  The thing I have understood a lot better between project two and project four would have to be the usability tests and how you should, write them, do them, and conclude them.  On project two, my usability test as a whole wasn't very strong in terms of putting it all together and making it look presentable.  For both project three and four, I felt much better with my usability tests in terms of being stronger and much more fluid.  Another thing I have learned would be the fact that no design will ever fit everyone's needs because everyone has their own opinions on the different aspects of the programs or whatever they use everyday.

3 comments:

  1. Design is never perfect and there is always room for improvement. Form my perspective, usability test can help us gather feedback from users. We can use this feedback to help us improve our design. For instance, i always think my design is perfect after first sketch, then i show it to users and ask them to do the usability test. Sometime, they will struggle with my design, or they will point out that my design does not make sense. After gather their feedback, i found out that my design have much space to improve. Their feedback and suggestion will help me design better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you in regards to understanding "playing the whole game" better as I-300 progresses. I only wish I could have known what I know now in the past so I could have done even better work. I certainly think that what I know now really allows me to do a better project than I could have without that knowledge. It's interesting that you used usability testing as you example, because that's what I used as well. If I had known proper techniques for usability testing I really think it would have allowed me to make better designs in the past, and this is crucial because I am a web-designer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that just writing the usability test has allowed me to find flaws in the applications. For example, we had a touch screen on the refrigerator that we created with a main menu and multiple sub-screens. I noticed when writing the usability test that the user would need a "home button" to get back to the main menu from the sub-screens. When we did ran the usability test, the user noticed the same thing.

    ReplyDelete